Robert L. Sepp | Attorney at Law
Get A Strong Legal Ally
In Your Corner
  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Immigration
  4.  — Visa Petitions

Immigration Visa Petitions Attorney

Applying for a family-based immigration petition is an expensive, time-consuming and complicated process. If you are related to a foreign national, and you would like to help them obtain lawful residency in the United States by way of a green card, there is a specific step-by-step process that you must carefully follow.

The lawyer at Robert L. Sepp, Attorney at Law, has the experience to help you get your loved one legal residency in the United States. Attorney Robert Sepp has been successful in reuniting numerous families and has the patience, understanding and wisdom to see that your family is together as it should be.

Form I-130

The Form I-130 petition is the first step to getting your loved one to the United States. The purpose of the Form I-130 is to establish a familial relationship between the petitioner (U.S. citizen) and the petitioned (alien relative). Without proof of an immediate familial relationship, immigration into the United States becomes exceedingly challenging and can take decades to finalize.

U Visas

If you currently reside in the United States, you are undocumented and you or a family member is or has been a victim of a violent crime or other criminal activity, you may qualify for a U visa. If you or someone you know may be eligible for a U visa, it is best to seek an experienced attorney to help you with the U visa application and legal proceedings.

How Do I Apply For A Family-Based Immigration Visa Petition For My Relative In Another Country?

First, you must be a lawful legal resident or citizen of the United States in order to petition for your family member to get an immigrant visa. Once your family member has been approved for an immigrant visa, you must wait for a visa number to become available, as every year there is a limited number of visas awarded for those approved. Then, once your family member has obtained a visa number, they must then apply for lawful legal residency in the United States if they qualify.

How Do I Know If My Family Member Qualifies For Lawful Permanent Residency In The United States?

There are certain criteria that must be met in order for a foreign national to qualify for lawful permanent residency (LPR) and they include:

  • The foreign national must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or lawful legal resident.
  • The sponsor must be able to prove that they can financially support the related foreign national.
  • If the sponsor is a U.S. citizen, they must prove their relationship to the foreign national. Acceptable family relationships include:
    • Husband or wife
    • Child under 21 years old
    • Unmarried son or daughter over 21
    • Married son or daughter of any age
    • Brother or sister if you are at least 21 years old or parents if you are under 21 years old
  • If the sponsor is a lawful legal resident, they must prove their relationship to the foreign national. Acceptable family relationships include:
    • Husband or wife or unmarried son or daughter of any age

Immigrant Visa Petitions Attorney

Immigration attorney Sepp fully understands how frustrating the family-based immigration visa petition process can be. He is a patient and highly qualified attorney who is dedicated to walking you step by step through the petition process.

We encourage you to contact our law office online or over the phone at 503-388-5382 to begin the family-based immigrant petition for your loved one. Complete this form to get started.

Located in West Linn, Robert L. Sepp, Attorney at Law is proud to represent clients in the Portland metro area, Willamette Valley, Oregon Coast, Bend, Medford, Eugene and throughout the entire state of Oregon.